(1) How long do I have to wait after I turn on the counter?
You have to wait 30 seconds. No complicated setting or calibration is required before measurement.
(2) Do I have to perform zero adjustment before measurement?
No, you do not. The counter is automatically calibrated.
(3) What is the ideal distance between the detector and the sample?
There is not an ideal distance.
However, the ion count detected by the counter can be lower than it actually is
when the sample is too far away from the counter. 10mm +/- will be fine.
Please be sure that the sample never makes contact with the detector.
(4) Can I select a measurement range for positive ions and another range for negative ions?
You cannot select different measurement ranges for positive and negative ions. They are simultaneously measured within the same range.
(5) Do I have to wait 30 seconds after I change the measurement range?
We suggest you should do so because it provides more accurate measurement.
(6) Can I store the ion data in the counter?
No, you cannot.
(7) Can I measure ion densities in water?
No, you can't. This ion counter is for air ions.
(8) What is the lowest ion density this counter can measure?
It is 100 (pcs/cc).
(9) Can I measure large ions?
No, you can't. This ion counter is for small ions.
(10) Can I change the mobility?
No, you cannot. The mobility is a fixed value.
(11) Do I need to adjust or calibrate the detector?
No, you do not need to.
(12) Does the detector detect foreign bodies?
No, it does not.
(13) Does this counter require grounding?
FYI: If the counter seems to be working improperly, it is possible that dust or something has built up inside the detector.
You can clean up the detector by yourself.
We suggest you should ground it because it provides more accurate measurement.
(14) I cannot find a measurement tolerance in the specs. Why?
This is because there is no official standard to measure air ions and the tolerance.
Measurement tolerances can be found in specs of products supplied by other companies
but they can be theoretically calculated values.
(15) Do you have a users manual written in other languages?
We inspect every counter prior shipping and compare the actual measurement with that of a precisely calibrated ion counter to make sure that the tolerance is within 10%.
We only have English and Japanese versions.
(16) Can you provide a certificate of origin?
Yes, we can.
(17) Can I transfer the DC output signals to my PC?
No, you cannot. It can cause failure of both the PC/counter. You can use the cable to connect a DC voltage meter or digital mulitmeter to the counter.
(18) Does this counter provide accurate measurement compared to other models?
The measurement of this counter is fairly accurate compared to that of the Air Ion Counter IC-1000 which is mostly used around the world.
FYI: Another ion counter may provide different ion counts for some reasons.
- The mobility is different.
- It does not perform as designed.
(19) How can I use the DC analog output jack?
You can connect a DC voltage meter or digital multimeter to the ion counter by using the cable, which is included in the package.
When X is displayed on the LCD, XmV is outputted regardless of the selected Range. The actual ion count is calculated by: X*Range.
(20) Can I use this ion counter in my country? I think the voltage and AC plug are different from Japan.
You can use the NKMH-103 in most countries as it works with AC100-240V and comes with the AC plug adaptors for the countries.
(Q & A)