(1) How does it provide the highly accurate measurement?
The product structure and ion count conversion formula conforming to the JIS standard (JIS B 9929) provide the highly accurate measurement.
The double coaxial cylinder type detector is used to detect ions and to maintain an ideal laminar flow (*1)(*2) in the detector.
This detector greatly contributes to the accurate measurement.
*1 JIS B 9929 Standard for measuring methods of airborne ion density
(2) How long do I have to wait before I turn on the counter?
*2 Product structure and Ion count conversion formula only - Measurement method not applicable
You do not need to wait.
(3) How long do I have to wait to start measurement after the counter is turned on?
The 10 seconds warm up automatically starts after the counter is turned on. You can start to measure ions immediately after the warm up.
You can also perform 30 seconds zero adjustment after the warm up if you need.
(4) Do I have to perform zero adjustment before every measurement?
The ion count shown on the display can be higher than the actual ion count just after the warm up.
We suggest you should wait until the ion count is stable.
We suggest you should do if you need more accurate measurement.
(5) Do I need to adjust or calibrate the detector?
No, you do not need to.
(6) Does the detector detect foreign bodies?
No, it does not. If it is working improperly it is possible that it has sucked in something or it has become dirty.
Please contact us if this happens.
(7) What is the ideal distance between the detector and the sample?
There is not an ideal distance. However, the ion count detected by the counter can be lower than it actually is
when the sample is too far away from the counter. 10mm +/- will be fine. Please be sure that the sample never makes contact with the detector.
(8) Where should I place a sample?
Basically, you should place a sample in front of the detector.
When you measure ions produced by e.g. a hair dryer, you should make sure that the air from the dryer and the air from the fan of the counter cross each other perpendicularly.
Otherwise, the air from the dryer can affect the air flow in the detector.
(9) Can I measure positive ions?
Yes, you can. You can switch to the positive <-> negative ion measurement mode.
Please note that you cannot measure both ions simultaneously.
(10) When should I switch "FAST" <--> "LOW" of the INT switch?
You can change the measurement interval. e.g. You can select "LOW" to make the interval longer when the ion count fluctuates too fast,
so that you will be able to read the figure more easily.
(11) Can I turn off the fan?
No, you cannot. It continues to work when the counter is working.
(12) Can I store the ion data in the counter?
No, you cannot.
(13) Can I connect this counter to my PC?
No, you cannot. This affordable model does not have an external interface.
(14) Can I measure ion densities in water?
You can connect this "high-end model" to your PC to save data and view the wave form.
No, you can't. This ion counter is for air ions.
(15) What is the lowest ion density this counter can measure?
It is 10 (pcs/cc).
(16) What is the mobility of this counter?
It is 0.6 (cm2/Vs).
We believe this model can detect small ions which exist in living space.
(17) Can I change the mobility?
No, you cannot. The mobility is a fixed value.
(18) Can I measure large ions?
No, you can't. This ion counter is for small ions.
(19) Can I connect this counter to the ground?
Yes, you can. This model has a ground terminal. A ground wire is not included in the package.
(20) Do I have to connect this counter to the ground? If so, why?
We suggest you should do so particularly if you measure a large amount of ions which are electronically produced by such as an ion generator.
This is because the ion counter may provide inaccurate measurement as it is electronically charged due to the electrostatic induction caused by the large amount of ions.
(21) Should I place it in a horizontal position so that the LCD faces the upward?
It is ideal to use a thick wire which has a low resistance and to make sure it is buried under the ground.
You can place it in a horizontal or vertical position. Whichever convenient for you!
(22) A measurement tolerance is not provided in the specs. Why?
This is because there is no official standard regarding air ion measurement tolerances.
(23) Can I use this ion counter in my country? I think the voltage and AC plug are different from Japan.
We actually measured the voltage applied to the detector and the flow rate of the fan to calculate the ion count,
compared the calculated figure with the measured ion count to make sure that the tolerance was within our own standard.
You can use the NT-C101A in most countries as it works with AC100-240V and comes with the AC plug adaptors for the countries.
(24) Can I mount this counter on the tripod? Is a tripod included in the package?
Yes, you can. This model has a threaded screw hole. However, a tripod is not included.
(25) Do you have a users manual written in other languages?
We only have English and Japanese versions.
(26) Can you provide a certificate of origin?
Yes, we can.
(27) I use this counter to measure air ions in my room. Does it cover a large area?
It covers "at most" 10cm away from it. You should measure ions at several points because they do not exist evenly throughout any room.
(Q & A)